March 19, 2007

I feel I'm at risk of making this "all about me".........

.........and I apologise!

but here goes (again!)

Still no photos :( sorry - but no real progress this weekend as I am disturbed (for want of a better word) at just how big this thing is!

I picked up for the sleeves and I've done five pattern repeats and they come to my elbows, just about, so I'm going to start the decreases when I pick it up again, hopefully this week but my dismay at the size may prevent that! Once I'd done the sleeves I tried it on and the thing is huge!!

It comes to my knees in the back!!

Way, way longer than the photo in Vogue. I think I was so concerned about making sure it fit around my chest I didn't properly think of the consequences, it being a circle and all! My husband, bless him, says it looks fine to him, but I'm not convinced! To me it looks too much like a big blanket rather than designer knitwear!

Anyhow, I've been kind of musing on what to do about it and I think I will be unpicking a couple of pattern repeats between the arm-holes and the outside edge and reknitting the lapel rounds and edging - ugh!! Having written that thought down I will have to check and see just how many pattern repeats there are between the sleeves and the lapel round - it might not even be possible to do that.

I had at first thought I would try and graft two sections together after frogging a couple of repeats but quickly realized that won't work due to the increases each round and therefore mismatch in number of stitches and size of the rounds to be grafted together, so I'm facing reknitting the outer rounds and the edging :(

..............and that's what has caused me to set it aside.

Also musing on just how to frog it to ensure I am able to recover all the stitches!

I'm thinking of maybe trying to pick up the stitches at the point I want to start again from before actually unpicking anything and then using the fact that I've already cut the contrast float yarn as a dividing point to start unpicking - kind of like we did for the sleeves with the waste yarn, except there's no waste yarn row.

Of course I could always just finish it up and have it as a coat rather than a shrug, and then learn from my mistakes in the next version, but I'm not sure I would ever wear it, nor am I sure I would ever want to knit this thing again.......... I've never been much of one for repeating patterns!

Decisions, decisions!!
Any thoughts?

No comments: