March 22, 2006

28 Stitches

Did you know that superwash wool will not felt?

I tried joining a new ball of Lorna's Laces Shepard Worsted using the spit and splice method and it didn't work. I thought all wool felt.

Anyways, I have an update on the Round Sweater/Twisted Float Shrug that I'm working on. I'm at the point where if I were to make a size S, I would start the armhole. I have 28 stitches in each of the 8 sections of the circle. I thought I would take the piece off the needles to get a more accurate measurement and take some pictures.

Here is a picture of it right off the needles:


And here is a picture of it slightly steam blocked:


15" in diameter. I am off gauge - it should have been 16 3/4" in diameter. I could reknit the entire thing using bigger needles, but I am not going to. I am quite happy with the fabric right now, anything looser will just be too floppy.

It looks like I will have to keep going up to a size M or maybe even an L. Miss M's shoulders are about 18" wide and I am assuming that this is how big I want the circle to be before I start the armholes.

I'm going to continue knitting till it's about that big and measure again.

Oh, and here is a closeup of the twisted float trim.

This yarn is just absolutely gorgeous. But of course, it's not only the yarn, but also the pattern stitch that makes it stunning. Annie Modesitt is such a genius! I just love the way the dark Charcoal contrasts with the Watercolor to bring out the look of a braided rug.

I wish I were at home now knitting. Happy knitting guys!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Ooh, that's very pretty. Do you think this pattern would work with that recycled silk sari yarn? I'm looking for a project for it that isn't too ratty-looking.

Unknown said...

Yes, superwash means you can wash it without it felting... which is why it's a nice yarn to use for baby gifts. :)

Reb said...

Kenny, it looks absolutely fantastic. Wonderful!

Reb said...

Kenny, which cast-on did you end up sticking with?

Reb said...

Nevermind, Kenny, I see that you stuck with Emily Ocker's circular cast-on.